Current: August 2018
Federal Reserve Bank of New York Office phone: (212) 720-7490
Money and Payments Studies E-mail: email@example.com
33 Liberty St. URL: http://www.copeland.marginalq.com
New York, NY 10045
Industrial Organization, Empirical Finance, Applied Microeconomics
Ph.D., Economics, University of Minnesota, 2002
M.A., Economics, University of Minnesota, 1999
B.A., International Affairs, The George Washington University, 1997
1/18 – present Research AVP, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
7/14 – 1/18 Research Officer, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
1/15 – 6/15 Visiting Fellow, Yale University
3/11 – 6/14 Senior Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
8/09 – 3/11 Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
1/09 – 5/09 Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins University
1/06 – 5/06 Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins University
7/05 – 7/09 Economist, Bureau of Economic Analysis
1/05 – 6/05 Visiting Fellow, Yale University
9/02 – 6/05 Economist, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve
Published or forthcoming
- “Interest Rates and the Market for New Automobiles,” with George Hall and Louis Maccini, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking (forthcoming)
- "Nonlinear Pricing and the Market for Settling Payments," with Rod Garratt, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking (forthcoming)
- “Price Setting with Rapid Technology Adoption: the case of the PC industry,” with Adam Shapiro, Review of Economics and Statistics (July 2016) vol. 98(3), pp. 601-616.
- “A Primer on the GCF Repo Service,” with Paul Agueci, Leyla Alkan, Isaac Davis, Antoine Martin, Kate Pingitore, Caroline Prugar, and Tyisha Rivas, FRBNY Economic Policy Review (December 2015) vol. 21(2), pp. 1-38.
- “Challenges Identifying Interbank Loans,” with Olivier Armantier, FRBNY Economic Policy Review (October 2015) vol 21(1), pp. 1-18.
- “Repo Runds: Evidence from the Tri-Party Repo Market,” with Antoine Martin and Michael Walker, Journal of Finance (December 2014), vol. 69(6), pp. 2343-2380.
- “Intertemporal Substitution and New Car Purchases,” Rand Journal of Economics (Fall 2014), vol. 45(3), pp. 624-644.
- “Repo and Securities Lending,” with Tobias Adrian, Brian Begalle, and Antoine Martin. Risk Topography: Systemic Risk and Macro Modeling. Ed. Markus K. Brunnermeier and Arvind Krishnamurthy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, (2013).
- “Seasonality, Consumer Heterogeneity and Price Indexes: The Case of Prepackaged Software.” Journal of Productivity Analysis (February 2013), vol. 39(1), pp. 47-59.
- “The Production Impact of `Cash-for-Clunkers’: Implications for Stabilization Policy,” with James Kahn, Economic Inquiry (January 2013), vol. 51(1), pp. 288-303.
- “Key Mechanics of the U.S. Tri-Party Repo Market,” with Darrell Duffie, Antoine Martin, and Susan McLaughlin, FRBNY Economic Policy Review (November 2012), vol. 18(3), pp.17-28.
- “Evolution and Heterogeneity among Larger Bank Holding Companies: 1994 to 2010.” FRBNY Economic Policy Review (July 2012), vol. 18(2), pp.83-93.
- “Measuring the Price of R&D Output,” with Dennis Fixler, Review of Income and Wealth (March 2012), vol. 58(1), pp.166-182.
- “Inventories and the Automobile Market,” with Wendy Dunn, and George Hall, Rand Journal of Economics (Spring 2011) vol. 42(1) pp. 121-149.
- “Response of Prices, Inventories, and Output to Temporary Changes in Demand,” with George Hall, Journal of Applied Econometrics (March 2011), vol. 26(2), pp.232-269.
- “The Welfare Effects of Incentive Schemes,” with Cyril Monnet, Review of Economic Studies (January 2009), vol. 76(1), pp. 93-113.
- “Learning Dynamics with Private and Public Signals,” Economic Theory (June 2007), vol. 31(3), pp.523-538.
- “The Use of Collateral in Bilateral Repurchase and Securities Lending Agreements,” with Viktoria Baklanova, Cecilia Caglio, and Marco Cipriani, New York Federal Reserve Staff Report no. 758
- "Do Long-Haul Truckers Undervalue Future Fuel Savings?" with Jacob Adenbaum and John J. Stevens, New York Federal Reserve Staff Report no. 756.
- “Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Markups, and Inventories,” with James Kahn, New York Federal Reserve Staff Reports no. 584
- “Durable Goods Production and Inventory Dynamics: An Application to the Automobile Industry” with James Kahn
- “Intermittent Purchases and Welfare-Based Price Deflators for Durable Goods,” with Ana Aizcorbe, BEA working paper, WP2007-02
- “The Substitutability of New and Used Goods: Highway Rollers,” with John J. Stevens.
- "Reference Guide to U.S. Repo and Securities Lending Markets," with Viktoria Baklanova and Rebecca McCaughrin, OFR working paper (Sept 2015) and New York Federal Reserve Staff Report no. 740
- “The Tri-Party Repo Market before the 2010 Reforms,” with Antoine Martin and Michael Walker, New York Federal Reserve Staff Reports no. 477.
- “Estimating Prices for R&D Investment in the 2007 R&D Satellite Accounts,” with Gabriel W. Medeiros and Carol A. Robbins, November 2007 BEA paper
2016 Office of Financial Research (US Treasury)
2010-11 Hunter College, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, University of Minnesota, University of Texas-Austin, Yale University, University of Toronto
2008-9 Johns Hopkins University, Brandeis University, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
2017-8 RED conference on Fragmented Financial Markets, FRBNY-NYU Stern Conference on Financial Intermediation, Frontiers of Finance, FIRS, Westerns Finance Association, CEBRA
2015-6 International Industrial Organization Conference, North American Productivity Workshop
2013-4 Econometric Society NASM, Westerns Economics Association meetings
2012 AEA/ASSA, ISIR/ASSA, Econometric Society NASM
2010-11 IO/NBER summer institute, Southern Economics Association, Society of Economic Dynamics
2008-9 CRIW/NBER summer institute, Econometric Society/ASSA, Econometric Society NASM, Society of Economic Dynamics, World Congress on National Accounts and Economic Performance Measures for Nations
1/09 – 5/09 Adjunct professor, Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University
Graduate level industrial organization (empirical)
1/06 – 5/06 Adjunct professor, Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University
Graduate level industrial organization (theory)
8/99 – 7/03 Instructor, Independent and Distance Learning, University of Minnesota
Taught Introduction to Macroeconomics, reviewed/updated course for a new textbook
8/98 – 6/99 Instructor, Department of Economics, University of Minnesota
Taught International Economics and large lecture Principles of Macroeconomics
8/97 – 6/98 Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, University of Minnesota
Recitation Leader for the large lecture Principles of Macroeconomics